Feed on
Posts
Comments

I’m sorry to have to say that Audrey died this morning.  We woke up at 6:30 am when he fell off his perch.  When I picked him up, he was already gone.

He’s been part of my life since I was eight years old and I don’t know how to live without him.  I feel confident, though, that he had the best life possible filled with everything he could want.  I love you Audrey and I’m going to miss you so much.

13 Responses to “Audrey Rufus Bird: 1988-2011”

1. Brittney says:

You literally made me cry this morning. I know how it feels to lose a bird you’ve loved for as long as you can remember (or at least it feels that way). I’m sorry :( From your posts he had a great life. HUGs

2. Elizabeth says:

Thanks Brittney. Sorry for making you cry.

3. Tess says:

I’m really sorry to hear this. I agree with you though, you gave him an amazing life. Sounds like he was an old fellow if you got him when you were 8, so it’s nice he lived a long full life. Still, loss is so hard. =(

4. Elizabeth says:

Thank you. I can’t believe I won’t ever hear his happy noises or be able to scratch him again.

5. Pamela says:

You absolutely gave him a lovely life. Really. That counts for a lot. And I sure do know what it’s like to lose a treasured friend – but I can’t even imagine what it’s like to lose a friend of 22 years. You don’t know how to live without him. But you’ll figure it out. Eventually.

6. Tiffany says:

Ahhhh, man, Audrey, I can’t think about how much your humans miss you. Hope they are doing okay.

7. Elizabeth says:

Thanks guys. I’ve been sick all weekend, which works out well for Connor and Trevor since I spent all day in bed today. Poor Connor doesn’t like us to leave the room anymore.

8. Shannon says:

Oh, Elizabeth! I didn’t realize Audrey had gone. Between Parrot Musing’s Brian dying and Audrey, I’m pretty broken up tonight. Remembering Pippin’s death in January brought back all the raw grief and an utter feeling of my heart being split in two for weeks. And having had him since you were a child! I can’t imagine. But just so you know, the heaviness of heart does lift after awhile. I began to feel Pippin’s presence and joy around me and that helped me a lot. I’m sure Audrey will “hover” around you for a long while. You indeed gave him the best of the best, and love in spades, while he lived. But what will happen to his giraffe???!!!

9. Elizabeth says:

Thanks Shannon. Conner has started perching on the giraffe. The cockatiels didn’t want to go near his cage for awhile but now they’re starting to explore the whole area.

10. Oh no! I am so sorry — I thought I would have to just lay down and die when my little yellow cockatiel died; over two years later I can’t really say I’m over it now.

How lucky you were to have him, and how lucky he was to have you.

Extra scritches to the rest of the flock, please. And to you, too.

11. Elizabeth says:

BP, I miss the stories about Sugar Franklin I’m sure as much as you’ll miss stories about Audrey. I was very lucky to have such a spirited bird.

12. Mary says:

I am seeing this very late, but I am so sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts.

13. Elizabeth says:

We’ve both had some rough couple weeks.