Feed on
Posts
Comments

Audrey

Audrey died one year ago today.  I miss him so much.  I don’t want to forget how excited he would get when you showed him a bottle and how he made a little whiny noise when you scratched his head.  He would yell at you to turn the lights out after 10:00pm and the only people that could consistently make him happy were Conner and Jon.

He was born in the house I grew up in to Screech (mom) and Bashful.  Screech was named thusly because she would screech and screech if you came within three feet of her.  Audrey came from a clutch of two and the other bird in the clutch had something seriously wrong with him because he never grew feathers, he just kept that fuzz that babies have when they’re born.  He only lived about a month.  Which is crazy because Audrey lived for 22 years.

Audrey loved nest boxes.  He would get inside and chew newspaper strips for hours.  The other cockatiels would get curious and scrabble all over the outside of the box and Audrey would his at them.  If you made kissy noises to him while he was inside the box, he would kiss back and sometimes he would sing.  Sometimes a cockatiel would jump inside the box and he would chase them off with his fierceness.

After college I lived in Arlington, Massachusetts and my roommate had a lovebird named Phoenix who was friends with us.  Audrey and I would get into bed and I would pull the covers over him to form a nest.  Phoenix would fly on top of the covers and try to get inside the covers.

Audrey loved that apartment because it was on the third floor and he could see the birds in the tops of the trees.  He especially loved the Blue Jays and would call back to them.

It’s amazing how cockatiels have such strong personalities.  Audrey was such an amazing bird.

11 Responses to “Audrey”

1. Tess says:

That’s a sweet description of him, and such cute pictures. 22 years seems like an impressive life for a little birdie. He’s lucky he had such a good mommy.

2. Elizabeth says:

Thanks. I’m scared I’ll forget all these details, kind of like how you were talking about Zoe’s schedule.

3. Tiffany says:

I heart Audrey’s heart wings. Wonderful stories about him; he was a super cool little dude. I miss how outspoken he was – he would always fearlessly “tell it”.

4. Shannon says:

Thanks for bringing Audrey back to us. He was such a wonderful character. I sometimes forget details about my lovebird Pippin until I reread one of my blog posts. Then the largeness of her personality in that tiny being comes over me and I get choked up.

5. Elizabeth says:

Thanks guys. I know it’s hard for you too. I’m glad that I have everything written here so I can remember.

6. cindy says:

I remember how fun it was when you were naming him. We weren’t sure that Audrey was a girl, but you didn’t care. :)

Love you.

7. Elizabeth says:

It’s a good name for a boy too.

8. cindy says:

That it is. :) He was a pretty amazing bird. Every so often, I hear some bird outside calling and I jump thinking it’s Audrey saying “Hello Baby” or the dreadful fake whistle he learned from me.

9. Elizabeth says:

I miss the fake whistle! It’s the only part of Audrey’s repertoire that the other birds don’t mimic. Stonewall does the best Audrey impression, but you know it’s him because he’s started adding a little RAWR to the end of it.

10. Pamela says: